Please take the time to review this privacy statement which explains the information that HeyCarter (Pty) Ltd or its subsidiary companies collects about you, how we use it, and your rights in relation to that information.
HeyCarter (Pty) Ltd, Rosebank, South Africa is the data controller of the personal information collected via or in connection with our websites, heycarter.co.za, CarterRenault.co.za, and mobile apps (the “Websites” and “app”).
By visiting the Sites, you are consenting to our collection, use, disclosure, retention, and protection of information about you and devices you use as described in this Notice.
HeyCarter (Pty) Ltd and its subsidiaries will gather and use user data in accordance with the Consumer Protection Act and the Protection of Personal Information Act. HeyCarter (Pty) Ltd will take all reasonable steps to protect the confidentiality of its users’ information, and use its users’ information only for the purpose permitted or required.What personal information do we collect about you?
We collect personal information from you when you provide it to us directly and through your use of our Websites or app.
This information may include:
• Information you provide when you submit your details for any service enquiry listed on our Website or app. This information will include your name, email address and a contact number.
• Information you provide when using the Website or app, for example your identity number, finance application information, insurance application information, searches, and quotes
• Any correspondence you have with dealers via our systems;
• Records of your interactions with HeyCarter (e.g. if you contact our sales, services team and provide feedback, request support, or ask for additional information).
• We maintain a record of telephone calls to and from HeyCarter companies made in connection with the HeyCarter company services for quality control and training purposes;
• Information you provide to us when you subscribe to content we offer, enter a competition or participate in a survey; and
• Information collected automatically, using cookies and other tracking technologies (e.g. which pages you viewed and whether you clicked on a link in one of our email updates). We may also collect information about the device you use to access our Websites.
• We may also receive confirmation from our dealers if you buy a car from them, for our accounting purposes and to manage the dealer’s account with us.
• You may use social networks or other online services to access our Sites. When you do so, information from those services may be made available to us. By associating a social network account with our Sites, you agree that we may access and retain that information in accordance with the policies of the social network or other online service and this Notice. For example, we may be able to access account or profile information that you have provided to the social network or information about your interactions with the social network to make information available to us (such as when commenting on a blog post or using a sign-on service, such as Facebook Connect).
• We may collect session and geolocation information from your mobile device. Geolocation information includes data such as your device’s physical location and may include GPS-based, WiFi-based or cell-based location information.
• We may obtain information about you from affiliates, partners, automobile dealers and other third parties. This information may include information about your use of this Site or our services, your use of other websites, your interactions with or purchases from automobile dealers, your interests and preferences and other information about you or your household. We may combine the information we obtain from third parties with information that we or our affiliates have collected about you.What do we use this personal information for?
Depending on how you use our Websites or app, your interactions with us, and the permissions you give us, the purposes for which we use your personal information include:
• To fulfil requests submitted via the Website or app;
• To contact you about your use of the Website or app and send you the relevant information or offers;
• To provide support and assistance that you may have requested
• To manage and respond to any queries or complaints to our customer service team;
• To personalise the Website or app and show you content we think you will be most interested in, based on your account information and your history on the Website
• To improve and maintain the Website and app and monitor its usage;
• For market research, e.g. we may contact you for feedback about your experience on our Website or app;
• We may contact you through telephone, text, or chat for other purposes, as permitted by law
• To send you marketing messages and show you targeted advertising, where we have your consent or are otherwise permitted to do so;
• For security purposes, to investigate fraud and where necessary to protect ourselves and third parties; and
• To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.Who do we share this personal information with?
We share users’ personal information with third parties in the following circumstances:
• With car dealers, to pass on your interest or specific query.
• With banks to pass on your application for finance
• With credit bureaus to perform credit checks
• With our insurance partners if you have requested an insurance quote
• With our professional and legal advisors;
• With third parties engaged in fraud prevention and detection;
• With law enforcement or other governmental authorities, in response to a lawful request or court order;
• Otherwise where we have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted to do so.
We also disclose aggregate data, which does not identify any user personally, including to third parties working in media, consumer research and the car industry (for example, as analysis of popular cars in a given year).What Choices Do I Have Regarding My Information?
You may limit and control the information provided to us in a number of ways. You may not be able to use all features of our Sites if you limit the information you share with us.
For example, you can choose not to access our Sites through your social media account. You may also be able to limit the information provided to us by third party social media providers by altering your privacy settings with those providers. You may unsubscribe from promotional emails from us by following the unsubscribe link included in each such email.
HeyCarter (Pty) Ltd uses Google Analytics, which helps HeyCarter (Pty) Ltd better understand its audience and target communications and advertisements based on demographic or interest-based information. You may learn more about opting out of certain Google advertising initiatives here
. You may also be able to opt out of certain targeted behavioural advertising via the Network Advertising Initiative’s opt-out.
Please note that you may still receive advertising even after opting out, but that advertising may not be tailored to you or your interests.Our basis for processing under South African data protection law
Generally, we rely on your consent to process the personal information collected via our Websites or app, so that we can provide you with the services we offer; for example, when you submit a query with us, browse for cars or correspond with our consultants, and you ask us to send you offers about particular cars or promotions. You can withdraw your consent at any time (see ‘Storage and Deletion’ below), but if you do so we will need to delete your account and you will no longer be able to conduct any transactions via our Website.
We may also process your personal information where it is in our legitimate interests to do so, in order to maintain our Website and app and conduct our business. For example:
• We conduct an analysis on our user base and the searches made via our Websites;
• We conduct an analysis on our user base and the searches made via our Websites or app;
• We may contact you after you have used our Websites or app to ask if you have bought a car (so that we can collect commission from the relevant dealer, and for our own internal research purposes); and
• Where you or a dealer confirm that you have found a vehicle via the Websites or app, we will process your personal information in order to fulfil our obligations to the dealers we work with and collect any commission due.Marketing & Advertising
We love to communicate with our users and so, depending on your marketing preferences, we may use your personal information to send you marketing, including by social media, email, SMS or post. Some of these messages may be tailored to you, based on your previous use of our Websites and app.
If you no longer want to receive marketing communications from us (or would like to opt back in!), you can change your preferences at any time by contacting [email protected]
, clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email, or via any opt outs provided to you.
If you unsubscribe from marketing, please note we will still contact you with service messages from time to time, including to send you offers from dealers in response to a request you make on the Websites or app.
You may also see adverts for our Websites or app on third party websites, including on social media. These ads may be tailored to you using cookies (which track your web activity, so enable us to serve ads to users who have visited our Websites). Where you see an ad on social media, this may because we have engaged the social network to show ads to our users, or others who match the demographic profile of our users. In some cases, this may involve sharing your email address with the social network. If you no longer want to see tailored ads you can change your cookie and privacy settings on your browser and these third party websites.Storage and Deletion
Our Website and App is hosted by external service providers based in South Africa.
If you would like to delete your account with Carter, please contact us using the details below. Please note, however, that if you delete your account we may retain some of your details (for example if you have made a complaint about our Website or app), for as long as is necessary to protect us from a legal claim. If you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, we will keep a record of your email address to ensure we do not send you marketing emails in future.Users under 18
Our Website and app is not intended for, and should not be used by, anyone under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals under 18.Cookies
You have certain rights in respect of your personal information, including the right to access, correct, and request the erasure of your personal information.
You also have the right to object to your personal information being used for certain purposes, including to send you marketing. See ‘Marketing’ above, for more details of how to opt-out of marketing.
We will comply with any requests to exercise your rights in accordance with applicable law. Please be aware, however, that there are a number of limitations to these rights, and there may be circumstances where we are not able to comply with your request. To make any requests regarding your personal information, or if you have any questions or concerns regarding your personal information, please contact us using the details below. You are also entitled to contact the South African Information Regulator.Car Dealerships and Job Applicants
This privacy statement is primarily aimed at users of our Websites and app. However, if you work for a car dealership with whom we partner or are applying for a job with Carter, please read the below.Car Dealerships
If you work for a car dealership with whom we partner, we will collect your business contact details as well as other information relevant to our professional relationship with you, including quotes. We will also maintain a record of your communications with us, telephonic, instant messenger, via email or through our Dealer Portal.
We may collect information about you from you directly, from your employer, from a user of our Website, or from publicly available sources (e.g. your dealership Websites).
We will use this information for the purposes of developing and maintaining our partnership with you. If you would like to update or delete your information with Carter, you may use our Dealer Portal or contact us.Job Applicants
If you apply for a job with any HeyCarter (Pty) Ltd subsidiary company, we will collect and use the information you provide to us in the course of your application to assess your suitability for the position you have applied for and for other roles in future, and to monitor diversity and equal opportunities within our recruitment process. Please note that as part of the application process, we may also collect information about you from third parties, for example recruiters, referees, or from publicly available sources (e.g. LinkedIn). Contact us